School LocationHenry Ford Academy: Elementary School - Detroit, MI - hfaelementary.org
As a member of a high performing instructional team, our elementary school physical education teacher helps to establish and sustain a school culture and learning environment that supports all students in meeting high expectations for personal and academic achievement through a variety of professional activities: use of research based best instructional practices, implementation of the HFA model curriculum framework, development of strong relationships with students and their families, development of community partnerships, participation in professional development, participation in school-related and student centered activities, completion of all professional obligations.
Teaching and Learning
- Take full responsibility for students’ learning
- Implement the HFA model curriculum framework through unit and daily lesson plans and learning tasks
- Incorporate HFA selected best practices in lesson design, instructional strategies and assessment
- Enhance relationships with students and the overall classroom and school experience by supporting and participating in school events and activities before and after school
- Maintain a learning-focused, safe environment in the classroom and common school spaces
- Enforce the Student Code of Conduct
Implementation of HFA Model
- Provide consistent focus on and reinforcement of the Five Developmental Areas in formal and informal student events and activities
- Incorporate community resources into learning experiences for students both by bringing a variety of resources to the classroom and by taking students to those resources directly.
- Provide consistent focus on and reinforcement of Public School in a Public Space and Work Place as the Learning Space
- Provide consistent emphasis on and support for college and career exploration and preparation through both formal and informal student events and activities
- Facilitate a strong and effective Forum experience for students
- Be an active contributor in the shared decision-making process at the team and whole school level
- Establish and maintain strong connections with community-based organizations, cultural institutions, local and city-wide businesses
- Consistent integration of community resources from those partnerships
- Establish and maintain regular, personal contact with families and care-givers
- Collaborate with leadership team to develop inter-disciplinary themes and learning experiences specific to HFA
- Develop specific daily lesson plans that align with the HFA model curriculum framework
- Establish individual goals and work toward the accomplishment of increased professional capacity
- Maintain an attitude of continuous learning through professional reflection and active collaboration with colleagues
- Work as an active member of the HFA professional learning community
Student Recruitment and Induction
- Collaborate to develop specific strategies to recruit students each year
- Participate in planned activities to introduce school to potential families
- Collaborate with leadership team to update and implement incoming student orientation program and family workshops
- Meet all obligations as set out in the HFA Staff Handbook
Bachelor’s Degree. MUST have relevant Michigan Teaching Certification in physical education and be highly qualified for the position. Experience in education, target academic content area and teacher leadership are critical. This position requires substantial expertise in urban education, including a proven record of effective authentic instruction, significant work with families and students as partners in learning, and integration of a wide range of unique, community resources. An evident commitment to holding all students to high expectations for academic and personal success is also a must.
Experience in elementary schools that face instructional and material challenges is critical as is significant expertise in working with urban families, developing community partnerships and collaborative decision-making and leadership. Candidates should be comfortable working in a flexible, self-directed and fast-paced work environment. Experience I an entrepreneurial educational environment is highly desired.
To apply for this position, please complete our online application at http://creativeurbaneducationinc.gethired.com. Please combine all references, resumes, and teacher certificates into one file for upload during application.
Creative Urban Education is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, marital status, height, weight, age, unrelated disability or other legally protected status.