School LocationHenry Ford Learning Institute - Dearborn / Detroit MI - hfli.org
HFLI’s Design Fellow is responsible for the effective administration/coordination of major projects, while actively developing the knowledge and competency to successfully manage, design and facilitate HFLI programs. Success in this position will be evidenced by: delighted project partners and co-workers; acquisition of requisite design thinking mindsets, skills, knowledge and tools; growth in design and delivery of HFLI immersive learning programs; willingness to be a generous learning partner, a humble-but-avid learner, and an “all-in” teammate.
HFLI has a strategic priority to invest in continued excellence/highest quality learning experiences. The Design Fellow position is aligned with this priority by addressing the current need for daily support on ongoing HFLI project needs. Furthermore, it addresses anticipated future needs by providing professional development for an educator with a personal interest in design thinking, supporting their trajectory towards becoming an HFLI learning experience designer/ facilitator and program manager.
Anticipated/Estimated Initial Time Breakdown:
Major projects administration/coordination – 50%
Professional development – 30%
Other – 20%
Our Design Fellow’s Major Areas of Work:
- Anticipate and perform administrative activities – working directly with partners, co-workers, consultants and others – to ensure the efficient execution of significant HFLI projects (such as Ford Law Career Academy and Global Makers Network), for ex. such as scheduling meetings, confirming agendas, taking notes during meetings, tracking follow-up items, drafting/ developing documents.
- Work closely with the Programs team to acquire design thinking mindsets, skills, knowledge, and tools, especially as they apply to innovative use in K-20 and youth programming.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of HFLI’s instructional focus:
- Deeper Learning by Doing™, an instructional approach that is immersive, hands-on, real-world;
- Design Thinking as the underlying methodology for transformational impact;
- Intentional DEI lens embedded in program design, reflected in touch points;
- Differentiation of delivery to reflect effective practices for online, blended or in-person learning;
- Applied empathy and knowledge of the needs of adult learners in the workplace or young people in formal learning settings; and,
- Intent to maximize engagement through sustained relationships, individual growth and actionable outcomes.
- Work closely with the Programs team to develop competency as a designer and facilitator of HFLI’s immersive learning programs, both online and in-person. That competency includes the use of tech tools such as MURAL, Zoom, HFLI’s Learning Management System, etc.
- Learn and embody HFLI’s brand throughout work products, such as documents, communications, and partner interactions.
- Expand knowledge of HFLI’s work by providing support as needed on HFLI engagements or deadlines.
Our Design Fellow Must Have:
- Experience as an educator in a formal setting;
- Mindset of a learner and commitment to the intended trajectory of the position;
- Knowledge of design thinking and a desire to develop as a designer and facilitator of experiences that use it as a methodology for transformational change;
- Evident enthusiasm for working with people from a wide range of sectors, diverse age groups and varied cultural, economic and social backgrounds;
- Excellent organizational and communication (written, visual and verbal) skills; and
- Aptitude and experience with graphic design software, workplace technology tools and social media channels.
Our Design Fellow Should Demonstrate:
- Deep personal humility coupled with a readily available sense of humor;
- Strategic thinking, ability to see opportunity among constraints of traditional educational and non-profit systems, settings and mindsets;
- Vision to uncover opportunities when others see only challenge or obstacle;
- Insight into and empathy for non-profit leaders and educators, their intrinsic and extrinsic challenges and rewards;
- Evident commitment to pursue equity in our communities and deliver experiences that leverage inclusive design;
- Developed skill in managing multiple teams of learners toward positive outcomes and to “work the room”;
- Proven ability to communicate clearly, perform at a high level under pressure, and work efficiently as both a team member and as an individual;
- Effective planning and organizational skills, ability to incorporate needs of others into planning up front and throughout;
- Enthusiasm for doing whatever it takes to ensure the highest quality program implementation for HFLI, Henry Ford Academies and our partners, communities and clients;
- Willingness to share french fries with teammates (in a safe way, of course!);
- Desire to support the vision and mission of HFLI and HFAs;
- Ability and desire to travel as needed.
DIRECTOR OF EXTERNAL RELATIONS, HFLI
Salary range: $48,000-$60,000 (commensurate with skills and experience)
Competitive benefits package, including comprehensive health insurance, to be detailed
during selection process.
Please provide us with your essential information (resume, desired compensation, other mainstream documents). It’s critical that you also provide an artifact that best communicates the essence of what you will bring to our future partnership for making the world a better place for all of us. Surprise and delight us – we know you can. Apply below or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will be filled as soon as a well-qualified person is identified.